by Drs.Like Wu, Xiaojuan Wang, Bo Cheng and Susan Chu
Wu Medical Center, Bejing, China
Encephalitis is a kind of infection of the central nervous system caused by a virus, germ or parasite. Patients will have sequela of encephalitis because of the damage/ degeneration of the nervous system. The main symptoms include motor disturbance, dysphasia, seizure and intelligence deficit.
We have treated many patients post infectious of encephalitis; most of them had obvious improvements.
For patients post infectious of encephalitis, we provide a unique program combining several therapies:
1. Before stem cells treatment, a complete examination of the patient's condition is done by our neurology doctor including organ functioning and evaluation of the nervous system.
2. Medication to adjust the condition of the patient's immune system: According to the patient's clinical condition, an effective medication will be used to adjust the immune function, nourish neurons and clear away the internal microenvironment to protect the neurons and help the growing of stem cells.
3. Stem Cells Activation and Proliferation Treatment-Patients receive a daily IV of neurotrophic factors and medicines used to stimulate the production of the body's own stem cells.
4. Rehabilitation: The rehabilitation program is an integral part of stem cell therapy. The treatment includes daily physiotherapy and occupational therapy sessions, and a complementary Traditional Chinese Medicine treatment (professional acupuncture and massage).
5. Stem Cell Implantation: Neural stem cell injections are delivered via lumbar puncture into the cerebral spinal fluid in four separate injections. Those stem cells will grow into neurons and rebuild new body neural innervations, at the same time, the new neurons can provide nourishment to the peripheral nerves and nerve roots, fixing the damage to the neural system.
6. Program length: About 5-7 weeks
Self Bone Marrow is an alternative treatment program that utilizes stem cells sourced from the patient's own body. Self bone marrow is extracted from the patient's hip, then cultured in the lab and induced into neural stem cells. Finally, the cultured cells are injected back via the spinal cord fluid in 2-4 injections. Self bone marrow stem cell implantation has no risk of rejection and is suggested when there is a potential immunological rejection to be expected or when the patient is young enough.
Possible side effects include; headache, fever, weakness, and dizziness. Side effects can persist between the first 24 hours and 3 days after the injection. These side effects are temporary, natural, and pose no serious threat to the patient's health or to the overall success of the procedure. A stronger rejection reaction is rare but possible.